We have a short edition of the MLB Cheat Sheet today as the majority of teams have an off day today. Only six games will be played, two in the afternoon and four tonight starting at 7. This is one of those nights where all the high profile names will be owned across the board, so it’s important to find those one or two players who won’t be so you can have the advantage. As always, you can get me on the Twitter machine @SBuchanan24.
Heaviest Pitcher Favorites
– Madison Bumgarner vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (-192) – With the short slate of games going, Bumgarner is the runaway favorite for tonight’s starting pitchers. As a team, the a Diamondbacks have hit him to a tune of .268, however, the chances of Bumgarner dominating are more likely.
– John Lackey vs. Milwaukee Brewers (-143)- Lackey is the second favorite tonight against the Brewers. Keep in mind this falls into the early category of games. He’s had very limited exposure to the Brewers roster thus far, so they’re hitting him at a .368 clip. Those numbers are obviously deceiving.
Highest Scoring Games
– Tampa Bay Rays at Toronto Blue Jays (Rogers Centre)- This game comes in with 8 runs for tonight. Chris Archer takes on Aaron Sanchez. I actually like Archer a lot in this game but I don’t like the Tampa offense. Something is going to have to give in this game.
– Kansas City Royals at Minnesota Twins (Target Field) Also coming in at 8 runs, you can tell the games are slim today. On the flip side, we certainly have two mediciore pitchers going in this one with Jason Vargas and Tommy Milone.
Toughest Left/Right Matchups
Toughest Pitcher vs. Left Handed Batters
– Madison Bumgarner vs. Arizona Diamondbacks – No surprise to anyone, Bumgarner gives trouble to lefties. His 1.84 ERA against them solidifies my previous sentence. As always with Bumgarner, his K/9 is also nice, coming in at 10.65.
Toughest Pitcher vs. Right Handed Batters
– Mike Fiers vs. St. Louis Cardinals – I think I always underestimate how well Fiers can pitch. I’ll admit, my personal exposure to the Brewers is slim to none on a daily basis. Against righties Fiers is our top guy tonight with a 2.06 ERA. His K/9 also comes in at 9.61, making him an attractive option tonight.
Best Left/Right Matchups
Easiest Pitcher vs. Left Handed Batters
– Dillon Gee vs. Miami Marlins – Gee owns a 4.85 ERA against lefties with a 4.98 K/9. Both numbers are extremely underwhelming and with such a short slate, proubly best to stay away from him.
Easiest Pitcher vs. Right Handed Batters
– Aaron Sanchez vs. Tampa Bay Rays – Sanchez owns a 4.89 ERA against righties. Like I said early, I’m not a fan of the Tampa offense, but when you struggle to get righties out, you won’t succeed in this league.
-Dee Gordon ($4700) – Gordan has seen his price jump lately, for good reason. He’s hitting .414 in his previous 25 at bats with seven runs scored, four RBIs and five stolen bases. Gordon will be a constant threat to steal a bag and with that stat giving the five points, why wouldn’t you find a spot for him?
– Paul Goldschmidt ($4600) – Goldy, in my opinion, is cheap right now. Later in the season, his salary should be in the 5,000 range (no rush Draftkings.) In the meantime, we can enjoy his hot streak that’s seen him go 8-23 with three homeruns and nine RBIs.
– Jose Bautista ($4900) – Bautista isn’t exactly on a hot streak right now, but he is seeing the ball well. He does have two homeruns in his previous 28 at bats, so his power surge might be creeping back again.
For the THIRD day in a row, no game has any real weather concerns. That is now really awesome.
One Pitcher To Build Lineups Around
– Cole Hamels vs. Washington Nationals($10,000) – First off, I hope you all listened and took Travis Wood last night, as he would have got you 30.75 points! Now that I’m done bragging, I’m going with Hamels because I know everyone and their mother will be on Bumgarner tonight. Hamels has had good success against the Nationals, a team until yesterday, seems to really be struggling.
Superstar Worth Paying For…
– Jose Reyes vs. Chris Archer ($4,600) – Reyes has had great success against Archer. Batting .450 against him with a .522 on-base percentage shows that. Reyes will be in my lineups tonight.
Save Big Bucks By Drafting…
– Dan Uggla vs. Cole Hamels($3,000) – I told you the pickings are a bit slim today! Uggla doesn’t really have impressive numbers against Hamels, but he does have three homeruns against him. Uggla is another homerun or nothing kind of player, but for 3k, it’s worth taking a flyer on.