Another week, another race. Here we’ll break down all the most important Daily Fantasy NASCAR information in order to drive your success! The information below is provided by DraftKings. The information is not developed or provided by NASCAR, Inc., or its affiliates.
TOP 5 FAVORITES TO WIN
1. Kyle Busch – The 2016 rules package was supposed to favor Rowdy, and it has. He hasn’t visited victory lane this season but he is averaging the second most fantasy points per race. At Auto Club Speedway from 2011 to 2014 (missed 2015 due to injury), Kyle has a 138.0 driver rating, 2 wins, a 2nd place finish, and a 3rd place finish. Track History and Performance Over the Last 15 Races are the two biggest stats in NASCAR DFS and Kyle Busch is near the top in both.
2. Jimmie Johnson – The fantasy scoreboard does not accurately reflect Johnson’s Phoenix race (35 fantasy pts). Johnson started from the back and still managed to run 89% of the race inside the top 15. Although Kyle has been the man to beat in California over last several years, Jimmie is the man with the most wins (5). Johnson has the highest top 5%, the most laps led per race (45) and a driver rating over 100 in 9 of the last 10 races at Fontana. Good track history stats? Check. Good last 15 races stats? Check.
3. Kevin Harvick – It’s all about Jimmie, Kyle, and Kevin this year. Hamlin and Keselowski have wins but in terms of consistent speed, 2016 has been all about the big three. Harvick recorded his inevitable Phoenix win last week. Just another week and another top 5 for the 2014 champion. Busch and Johnson have the edge at Auto Club Speedway but Harvick’s no slouch. Harvick finished 2nd at Fontana in 2015 and scored the second most fantasy points. In 2014, Harvick ran around the top 5 until a tire issue ruined his day.
4. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. – The 88 team may not be fastest off the hauler but by race time, the car has top 5 speed. Junior couldn’t hold off Harvick last week but he’s proven that he’s more than just a place differential pick this season. In three of the last four Auto Club Speedway races, Junior’s driving rating was over 100 and his average running position was 10th.
5. Kurt Busch – Stewart-Haas has put together some strong cars at Auto Club Speedway over the last several years. Who cares about the 2 wins and 9 top 5s? The impressive stat is that even Danica has 2 tops 20s at Fontana. Kurt didn’t win at this 2 mile oval last season but he had the highest DFS score with 65 laps led and 50 fast laps. Like his brother, Kyle, a win has been close this season. Kurt has a top 5 car every week; this could be the weekend he breaks through.
LONG SHOTS TO SCORE BIG
1. Austin Dillon – Time to bury the hatchet and end my outspoken criticism of Austin Dillon. His car looks great every week, he’s driving well, and his crew chief, Slugger Labbe, is making gutsy calls at the end of races. At Michigan, a slightly similar high speed 2 mile oval track, Dillon had a great car and with clever pit strategy, he finished 4th.
2. Danica Patrick – Stewart-Haas has produced fast cars at Fontana and Danica has finished inside the top 20 in the last two races. Danica put herself in great positions last week by racing well. At Michigan, Danica has 4 top 20s in 6 races.
3. Paul Menard – Richard Childress Racing has shown a lot of speed this season and their drivers are underpriced. Last week, Menard and Newman each blew a tire and blew up fantasy lineups. Recency bias could make Menard a key ingredient in the fantasy NASCAR recipe this week. Menard has finished 4th, 8th and, 9th in the last three Auto Club Speedway races.
Kyle Busch – Four races into 2016, and Kyle has 4 top 5s. Throw out Daytona; and Kyle hasn’t scored below 73 fantasy points this season.
Kevin Harvick – Enough is enough. Kevin Harvick’s had it with second place finishes. Harvick dominated Phoenix and won for the 8th time.
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. – Daytona was a disaster but Junior has rebounded with three consecutive top 10s. It’s been years since Junior has been this happy with his car.
- Brad Keselowski (2015)
- Kyle Busch (2014)
- Kyle Busch (2013)
- Tony Stewart (2012)
- Kevin Harvick (2011)
PICK TO WIN
Kyle Busch – Rowdy has been right on the edge of victory in every race and Auto Club Speedway is one of his best tracks.