Today’s CBB Targets break down the college basketball slate we have with a look at the studs, sleepers, and mid-range players you want to have in your lineups.
BIG MONEY ALERT
The January Jam College Basketball Storm the Court tourney is only 11 days away. $100 entry with a $30,000 Prize pool. Click here to take your shot at being the king of the college hoops scene on Draft Kings on Jan 24th.
We have quite a few good games to target tonight on a very robust CBB slate. Draft Kings CBB is now officially one of the best as they began to include a lot more games and options to help lower the overlap and make it more of a challenge for us CBB fanatics. There are 15 games for us to choose from tonight and I think players from both sides of all 15 are usable here today. The robust player pool gives us a lot of ways we could go and as always I would caution you to steer clear of using a lot of the Studs in expected blowouts. Lower minutes and usage rates usually apply to those situations and that is never a positive for making value in DFS. The household names of the world usually are over owned as well, so if you can find a better value then the guy who is constantly named on ESPN, than that also should be good to give you an edge. Below I break down some of the guys I will be trying to fit into my line ups. Many of them are guys I feel can reach the 4 points per $1000 of cost mark, which is what I use to differentiate good and bad plays in CBB.
- DJ Newbill, Penn St. ($9000) – Stand out guard for the Nittany Lions is one of the most expensive on the slate today, but he goes up against an Indiana Team that is 266th in opponents points per game. The line on this one says it should remain close throughout and with Newbill having such a large share of the points scored so far for the Nittany Lions it stands to reason he is in line for a nice game here today. The pace should be hot and Penn State will need him to play big if they are going to go into IU and come away with a victory.
- Sterling Gibbs, Seton Hall ($7900) – The Former stand out at New Jersey HS power house Seton Hall Prep originally committed to Texas before changing course and staying home in the Garden State. He has 20+ points in three of his last four and will be the key tonight for a scrappy Pirates team who is trying to make a name for themselves. Gibbs can attack the cup and also has a nice stroke from the outside, so he can score in many ways. Butler’s defense is not an easy nut to crack, but whenever the Hall needs a basket the ball tends to find it’s way into Sterling’s capable hands. His price has climbed from the mid 6’s recently, but it’s a warranted change based on his recent play.
- James Woodard, Tulsa ($6100) – Do not be scared off by the mighty UConn Huskies listed as his opponent tonight as the Huskies are not what they once were. Woodard makes fora good cheap option tonight because of the massive amount of minutes he plays. He has had up and down games recently, but has a nice floor based off the 12-18 points he has scored over his last few in the 37+ minutes he has been playing. He has played 37+ minutes in 5 of the last 6 and twice during that stretch has reached over 30 DK points. That kind of upside can win you a CBB GPP and his bad games are still serviceable enough to help you cash. Plus I do not think many will be looking to this game, so you can probably get him lower owned. Currently the game is a pick em, so I have no doubt Woodard should continue to see his 35+ minutes here.
- Rakeem Christmas, Syracuse ($9100) – The Double Double machine is ready to crank it up yet again tonight and while most will be paying up for Okafor in a game with a spread over 15, I will be swerving onto Christmas in a game where the spread is single digits instead. Wake’s scoring Defense is ranked 211th in the NCAA so far and that plays right into the hands of Christmas who is averaging a tick under 20 a game over his last five. In fact during the recent five game stretch he is averaging 18.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists in almost 37 minutes per.
- Bobby Portis, Arkansas ($9000) – I’m going back to the well with my man Portis tonight and why should we not after the game he gave us last out vs. Vandy. He has two games over 40 DK points in his last four and numerous games with 30+ DK points. In fact he averages 27.7 minutes on the season and 29.6 DK points for more than a point per minute. Tonight’s game is expected to stay close when you look at the Vegas spreads and that should mean a few extra minutes and higher usage for the big man. He has been beasting inside so far and I have no doubt that he is a huge double double threat again here today. I expect him to outproduce his recent averages and that means 30+ DK points for him and a nice anchor for your rosters tonight.
- Tonye Jekiri, Miami ($6500) – I kicked around a few names for the value guy, but he is the one who has been on the biggest upswing lately. The Hurricanes big had a decent start to the season, but has become a monster in his last four. He has averaged a double double over those games and has rebounding numbers of 13 and 15 which are too good to ignore most of the time. I know he gets a tough match up against a very talented Duke team, but if they are going to be able to keep it close they will need the big man to help clean up the boards and control the tempo. He’s averaging 8 points, 10 rebounds and 2 assists per game while playing 35+ minutes in non blow outs, so you got to like his consistency and upside.