We have a short slate of games today. Two in the afternoon and six tonight. We will cover both of these, but take note that the majority of this coverage is going to be for the night games. Let’s jump right into it. As always, you can get me on the Twitter machine @SBuchanan24
Heaviest Pitcher Favorites
– Tim Cooney vs. Philadelphia Phillies (-155) – Is this a knock against the Phillies, or is Cooney that good? Coming up from the minors, Cooney has a 3.63 ERA this year with a 7.6 K/9. His debut against a less than stellar Phillies, you’ll have to at least think about this pick.
– Chris Sale vs. Minnesota Twins(-151) – Back to normal, here. Sale is your heavy favorite for tonight’s slate. No surprise here, going against the Twins. Sale has already faced them this year and went six innings, allowing one run on five hits and striking out eight.
– Shelby Miller vs. Cincinnati Reds (-123) – Miller is having a fine season thus far for the Braves. His 2.05 ERA to go along with 14 strikeouts has been getting it done for people who roster him. His K/9 is low at 5.7. Even in a short slate, that could make a difference in scoring those crucial points you’ll need to take a tournament down.
Highest Scoring Games
– Seattle Mariners vs. Houston Astros (Minute Maid Park) – I think for the time being, any time Nelson Cruz is in a game, it might get the highest scoring game of the night title. This game is tabbed for 8.5 runs. James Paxton is taking on Scott Feldman in this one. I would highly suggest getting a few Mariners in this one.
– Detroit Tigers vs. Kansas City Royals (Kauffman Stadium) – Alfredo Simon and Danny Duffy go toe to toe in this one. Simon and Duffy are two pitchers you woudn’t exactly turn to in a big game. Simon is pitching VERY well right now, but it certainly won’t last. This one comes in at 8 runs tonight.
Toughest Left/Right Matchups
Toughest Pitchers vs. Left Handed Batters
– Chris Sale vs. Minnesota Twins- Sale has yet to let up a run against a left hander thus far. So, his ERA is a perfect 0 against him. His K/9 is super impressive as well, at 12.32.
Toughest Pitchers vs. Right Handed Batters
– Chris Sale vs. Minnesota Twins – Again! We all saw this one coming. Righties are only batting .217 against Sale so far. Going up against the Twins tonight, I wouldn’t expect that number to go up that much.
Best Left/Right Matchups
Easiest Pitchers vs. Left Handed Batters
– Trevor May vs. Chicago White Sox- Nothing seems to go right for the Twins. May holds a 5.57 ERA against lefties. On a positive note, his K/9 is sitting at 9. So he has that going for him.
Easiest Pitchers vs. Right Handed Batters
– Trevor May vs. Chicago White Sox- Can you tell today is a short slate? Basically, Sale is the best, May is the worst. But really, May is atrocious against righties. His ERA is an astounding 9.85 against righties.
– Jose Altuve ($4800) – Man, Altuve has been on fire lately. He’s 14 for his last 29 with a homerun, seven RBIs, seven runs scored and three stolen bases. His salary continues to climb, but for good reason. He’s by far the top second baseman in the league right now.
– Jake Marisnick ($3700) – Two Astros players in a row? Oh, it’s true! Marisnick is a cheap option that’s 7 for his last 14 with a homerun, four RBIs, six runs scored and four stolen bases. If you can’t afford Altuve, Marisnick is getting it done as well.
– Brandon Moss ($4600) – Moss has been an RBI machine as of late. He’s 7 of his last 22 with three homeruns, twelve RBIs, and five runs scored. Looks like Moss is going on one of his famous hot streaks.
– Toronto Blue Jays at Cleveland Indians – This game has a very high chance of rain that’s only going to get worse as the night goes on. I wouldn’t invest much into this game, if at all.
One Pitcher To Build Lineups Around
– Stephen Strasburg vs. New York Mets ($10400) – Strasburg hasn’t had a great start to the season, but some of his numbers suggest he’s going to turn it around soon. His K/9 is still high, at 8.9. The Mets don’t strikeout a ton, but on a night where the picking is slim, I’m good with deploying Strasburg tonight.
Superstar Worth Paying For…
– Mike Trout ($5600) – Man is he expensive. Trout has good numbers against Jesse Chavez this afternoon. He’s hitting .438 against him with a homerun. This is for the afternoon slate so just realize, he’s going to be highly owned.
Save Big Bucks By Drafting…
– Kelly Johnson ($3200) – It’s players like Johnson, who, if they have a big game, could be the difference in a big GPP. Johnson is hitting .385 against Mike Leake and could be a real sneaky play tonight. It won’t hurt to have him on your roster. You don’t have much to chose from tonight!