Rankings below are based on a mixture of expected output and DraftKings’ NASCAR salaries for that day. These are the drivers in the lowest tier of salaries that have the opportunity to score 30 to 40 DFS points. The information is not developed or provided by NASCAR, Inc., or its affiliates.
1. Greg Biffle (7,100) – The 4 time Michigan winner at a bottom barrel price…..uh yes please. Biffle and Roush Fenway have been great at Michigan. The Bif has the highest driver rating at Michigan among active drivers at 103.8. He also ranks 2nd to King Jimmie in fastest laps (311) and laps led (500). For Draftkings players the Bif has been great due to his place differential, this week the Bif may be a lock no matter where he qualifies.
2. Jeff Gordon (8,500) – An elite driver, car, and team at $8,500….DK is making this to easy. Gordon has 3 wins at Michigan and yes one of the wins was recently (2014). For the benefit of Draftkings scoring, Gordon has the 3rd most fastest laps (233). He has also led 264 laps at the race. I will prevent myself from saying this is the track Gordon finally win at, but I won’t prevent myself from saying he is a great play at $8,500.
3. Paul Menard (7,800) – Menard has been Michigan chalk over the last couple of years. Menard has found himself in the top 5, 3 out of the last 4 races. Oh yeah and in case you were wondering in that 4th race he was in the top 10. Menard has an average finish of 5.7 in these last 4 races and a driver rating of 102. The best thing about Menard is he has done this from a qualifying position that has guaranteed positive place differential.
4. Casey Mears (7,200) – I am saying it this week, Mears is Mr. Consistent and will forever be Mr. Consistent. In the spring race at Michigan (which was hindered by rain) Mears started in the 27th spot and finished in 13th. Since 2013, Mears has an average start of 28th at Michigan and an average finish of 20th. Another interesting factoid for you, since 2013 Mears has average positive place differential at every track sans five of them (most being super speedways or road courses). Mears has been guaranteed points and with a poor qualifying position this week he should be a great punt play.
5. Danica Patrick (7,200) – Danica has had a lot of success at Michigan and some could say this has even been one of her best tracks. She has 4 top 20s in the past 5 races at the track. She also has a top 15. My love for Danica will grow solely based on where she qualifies, but if she is 25th or higher I will have her in multiple lineups this week.